Saturday, March 23, 2013

jumping the queue and stealing looks

After a drab and dreary week, you really look forward to the weekend. I start looking forward for my weekend a little earlier than the others - from Monday morning. 

Not that i do something great on the weekend, of course i imagine that i will not waste the day sleeping get up by 9, cook myself a good meal, get done with house cleaning by 12 and then watch a good movie, plan the evening with friends or maybe go swimming, play badminton and make the most of my weekend b active n so on n so forth...

But weekend comes and goes n i sleep late..stuff my self with bread butter n boiled egg while away time watching TV..call up friends and meet up at late evening and then end up chatting till wee hours to wake up to a Monday morning in half sleep..looking forward for the weekend again. 
its a vicious circle like visiting the dentist as per Ogden Nash in 'this is going to hurt just a little bit' (sounds like a Hindi serials name).

Okay anyway this Sunday night i gave up all my plans :P to sleep off early because, i had to get up early and be early in the queue (this wasnt fun though unlike as being a kid when being 1st in the queue used to be some kind of an achievement) not for a very good reason but to negotiate in reducing my fine with the emirates id authority.

I reach there at 6.45 am even though the office opens at 7 my token number is 25. Only one counter serving fine complaints. However, since i did not have to get to office until 9 so i assumed that i would b done by 8.30 am.
One hour passed the token machine did not budge from token number 1 , the guy seemed to be serving people without the token.
All of us waiting with tokens were grumbling about how unfair it is, impatience  was building up inside me, for the past 15 minutes i had been contemplating going up to the guy and asking him why is he not taking tokens as per assignment. (come on it wasn't just about raising my voice , that guy had the power to reduce my fine which was by no means less)

It took me full 30 mins to summon courage and be the voice of the people and question him.
I walked up to him praying that this act should not decrease my chances of having my fine reduced "Excuse me sir, this is my token number, i was told i will be served at counter 13 but its been over 1 hour and you haven't taken anyone yet" my heart was pounding but i was feeling proud of my self too when i saw a hint of worry n nervousness in his expression.
He said " mam, please take a seat you will be next" 

I sat down i his cubicle relieved that i wont have to inform office about getting late and be spared the embarrassment of sharing the fine levied.

But i was sinking in guilt too. I had come there to be the "voice", to tell the man to serve us according to our tokens and that too i was number 25, and here i am sheepishly enjoying the fact that i had jumped the queue. Next 10 mins it was my turn i did get a little relief on the fine i was to pay. I left the counter without turning to anyone but as i left i could imagine their cold eyes following me out of the door and maybe their hearts wishing that they had been the one to raise their voice.

You are paid for being courageous for yourself or on behalf of the others the results may not always be fair to every one but the fact that you gathered all your courage and made a move nonetheless leaves u feeling proud and confident..

Signing off...



2 comments:

  1. So did you actually save some fine... ???? :)

    Anyways it was worth reading I enjoyed thoroughly. ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes im hoping i will result still to come :D ..thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete